At CDK Global, I leveraged React.js and Redux to, along with a high school intern and two college interns, develop software used by an internal credit reporting team to monitor the number of credit checks made by individual car dealerships.
We built a full-stack web application with a React.js front-end, making use of both Material UI and CDK Global’s proprietary React components as well as Redux and thunk for asynchronous global state management. Interesting challenges posed by this project include designing the inheritance hierarchy through which React components were displayed, as the desire of the end user to display a spreadsheet that presented statistical information in different forms in different modes, and designing an efficient way to manage global state with Redux to make a minimal number of request while keeping the information displayed up to date. The former problem was resolved by Redux to connect disparate components to their corresponding information without making many additional requests, and the latter through a custom Redux store method to refresh the data asynchronously as the application is used, refreshed and as information with different priorities was desired.
The backend was constructed with the Spring Boot Java framework; the entire application was run on an Nginx server running in a Docker container on CDK’s servers. To this end, I helped format the server and docker container to run the front-end on CDK’s development, testing and production servers, and communicated with the Spring Boot developers to ensure the data representations presented by our API were best conducive to the needs of the end user on the front-end (as structure informs representation).
Our team made use of a weekly Agile/Scrum organizational paradigm, in which we held sprint planning sessions to craft workloads, daily stand-ups to update and review progress, as well as reflection sessions to ensure that the system and each of its participants was running smoothly. We made heavy use of Atlassian’s Jira organizational framework to organize this procedure, and for compatibility we used Stash as our git repository of choice as well as various other Atlassian services for the purposes of communication and documentation. As typical with Agile, development workflow started with a weekly assignment of stories, then creating a feature branch for each story to be completed and providing detailed instructions by which other team members could validate the work once the work was completed (as three other team members were required to approve a commit before it could be staged and merged into our master branch).
Also of note was the extensive communication with our product manager - the objective of our project was not very well-defined when the internship began, so we set up extensive meetings with the non-technical end user, preparing questions and creating user stories for various desires of the end user based on responses and feedback on the current status of the application. Eventually, we found that receiving some answers to basic desires of functionality, then crafting user stories based on this feedback and presenting the end user with various iterations of demo applications to determine what the user desired, was most effective in determining concrete end goals for the project.